The role of a circuit breaker
Breaker, an electromechanical device that allows connection to turn the power of one or more circuits in case of overcurrent or overload, aims to protect:
- Electrical installations, current intensities too high may damage them;
- And men of electrocution.
With this system, there are no fuses to change. To turn the system on, just turn the switch to « on » position, course after setting the incident causing the overload or short-circuit.
Its main function is to protect the circuit that feeds.
Different types of circuit breaker
There are several types of circuit breaker:
- The magnetic circuit breakers, which provides protection against short-circuits,
- The thermal circuit breakers, which provides protection against overload,
- Thermomagnetic circuit breakers, which provides protection against short-circuits and overloads,
- The electronic circuit breakers, which perform functions triggers thermal and / or magnetic, while providing a wide range of settings (trigger level, the trigger delay)
- Switches and magneto-thermal differential circuit breakers, which protects against short circuit, overload and protection of persons against indirect contact.
The general construction of a circuit breaker
A circuit breaker is a combination of a set of contacts with a large breaking capacity and a system for protection against overloads and short circuits.